New features launching weekly — now open for Early Access..
Legal & Tax

Tax strategy for multiple BTR properties

Mike Chenabout 1 year ago
0

I'm scaling up my BTR portfolio and want to make sure I'm optimizing my tax strategy. Should I be using an LLC structure? What depreciation strategies work best? Any CPAs you'd recommend?

1 Replies

Todd Anderson• 12 months ago

@Mike Chen,

Congrats for starting to scale. This is where things start getting fun.

I would be happy to talk with you about your personal situation.

In general putting properties into an LLC does not help your tax situation. It will pit a layer of liability coverage into your portfolio. this is the direction that many investors will go once they have gotten a portfolio that has enough size to warrant mor liability coverage.

The depreciation will be your biggest help with taxes. I would always recommend to someone doing REI to do a Cost Segregation Report. This will allow you to accelerate your depreciation so that you can right off more of the depreciation sooner.

I have worked with with a number of CPAs in the past. I have recently found one that seems to know a lot about Real Estate. Investor Friendly CPA is who I would recommend.

Please reach out to me directly for more specific information.

Best of luck.

Todd Anderson Build 2 Rent

Join the conversation

Log in or sign up to post a reply.

Ready to Start Investing?

Join thousands of investors who trust Build 2 Rent for their investment needs